The Alfred Wegener Institute Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI) is a member of the Helmholtz Association (HGF) and funded by federal and state government. AWI focuses on polar and marine research in a variety of disciplines such as biology, oceanography, geology, geochemistry and geophysics thus allowing multidisciplinary approaches to scientific goals.
Station leader (m/f/d) for the German-French Arctic station AWIPEV
Starting each January 1, Logistics Department of AWI is appointing a Scientist (m/f/d) (meteorology or natural sciences) as head of the overwintering team at the joint German-French Arctic station (AWIPEV Base) in Ny-Ålesund on Svalbard.
The wintering will take place in one of the most beautiful places of Svalbard in the international research village of Ny-Ålesund where more than 10 nations have established their bases. Ny-Ålesund is equipped with modern infrastructure and corresponding recreation facilities. The AWIPEV Base consists of several buildings with modern laboratories, office rooms and living space.
Your tasks will be the overall local management of AWIPEV Base and the scientific projects:
- Coordination and support of scientific projects at the station
- Interfacing between projects, station team and logistics departments (AWI + IPEV).
- Looking after meteorological long-term measurements
- Public relations regarding station matters, observational, and visiting scientific programs
- Local station management
- A university degree in natural sciences
- Experience in coordinating scientific project work or organization of scientific expeditions
- Experience in public relations work
- Good knowledge in group management and information transfer
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, resilient
- Good knowledge of presentation tasks
- fluent proficiency in English and German
Mandatory are a valid driver’s license. Proficiency in French and Norwegian will be an advantage, moreover a motorboat license and knowledge in first aid would be appreciated.
The employment is limited to 24 months. Within this period of time a stay at the polar base for more than 12 months will follow after job training at the AWI. The preparedness to work under Arctic conditions is absolutely mandatory for the employment. During the employment at the AWI there will be a deputation to the Research Unit Potsdam for the period before and after the stay at polar base.
Employment contract and payment comply with the wage and working agreement (TVöD) as applied at AWI. Working location before and after the wintering is Potsdam. Employment starts every 1. January. After an introduction period the stay at the Arctic base will last for at least 12 months.
Information about the position can be obtained from Dr. Roland Neuber
+49(331)288-2129). Please find further information on the joint German-French base under: www.awipev.eu
As the base is operated jointly with Institut Polaire Français Paul Emil Victor (IPEV) the interview will be in English and a member of the IPEV staff will participate.
This characterizes us
- our scientific success - excellent research.
- collaboration and cooperation - intra-institute, national and international, interdisciplinary.
- opportunities to develop – on the job, aiming at other positions and beyond AWI.
- a culture of reconciling work and family – audited, and even more than that.
- our outstanding research infrastructure – ships, stations, aircraft, laboratories and more.
- an international environment – everyday contacts with people from all over the world.
- having an influence – fundamental research with social and political relevance
- flat hierarchies – freedom and responsibility.
- exciting topics – also in technology, administration and infrastructure.
Equal opportunities for women and men are an integral part of our personnel policy. Therefore, we encourage women to apply.
Disabled applicants will be given preference when equal qualifications are present. The AWI fosters the compatibility of work and family through various means. Because of our engagement in the area of work-life compatibility we have been awarded the certificate “Career and Family”.
We look forward to your application!
Please forward your application by August 31st each year exclusively online.